|« Junktown was a city of traders (and traitors). »
- Fallout 1's Vault Dweller.
It was founded soon after the War by a soldier called Darkwater Killian that his grandfather founded Junktown. Instead of the ruins of an old town, he thought it would be better to begin from the ground up. The town mostly lives out of trading and has a reputation of open hospitality.
Around 2161, the mayor of Junktown was Killian Darkwater, grandson of the town's founder, who also ran Darkwaters General Store. Another big player in the town was Gizmo, a big-time crook and casino owner. While Gizmo's casino brought a lot of tourists and money into the town, problems also came with it. Other important places in Junktown at that time included Crash-House Inn, home to the Skulz and the Skum Pitt, a bar owned by Neal. Doc Morbid was the town's doctor. Tycho, a Wasteland Ranger, also resided in Junktown for a while at that time.
In 2161, Lars headed the guards in Junktown, working for Killian Darkwater. The gates were guarded by Kalnor. They also had a jail, which is guarded by Andrew. The guards were aware of the illegal activities of Gizmo and the Skulz, but they didn't want to act without proper evidence.
Gizmo hired a man to assassinate Killian, in order to gain full control over the town. It is not explicitly stated in the Fallout 2 manual which side the Vault Dweller sided with, as it alludes to both Killian and Gizmo. NCR was built from the ashes of the Shady Sands, a small town built by the survivors of the early-opened Vault 15. Villagers of the Shady Sands were smart enough to build an army, and to develop their town. Later on, NCR had became a real state, with both police and military faction. Its great resources are coming from its large brahmin herds, and from the caravans. Directed by the president Tandi for dozens of years, NCR took wise decisions and is still expanding. Well-driven and safe, this state can only rise...
As the name suggests, it was built after the Great War out of random pieces of junk, mostly of broken cars. Although it is a small community there are many activities in this town. Important places in Junktown are the Crash-House Hotel, the Skum Pitt, a bar owned by Neal, Darkwaters, a general store owned by Jeremiah and the hospital nearby the entrance with Doc Larrikin as the town's doctor. Also there's Earl, a well known scout who sells bases to new factions. Also you can find some interesting people there who offer several services.
Wearing weapons in town was not permitted, but this rule is changed. The Guards try to keep this place clean and won't allow troublemakers to enter their town. Beside for the NCR and Vault City, Junktown is one of the safest places within the wasteland. The guards were used to close the gates for protection. The gates were open from 07:00 to 22:00, but this is no more the case, as Junktown is open 24 hours now.
- The shit shoveling can be done there very well, since you got three places in town to do so.
- Junktown contains some small quests.
- Its workbench is inside the city, in a big house right next to Darkwaters. There you also find Boyce, a guy who can teach you how to become a Small Gun Gunsmith.
- You can sell spears to Sassy Givins in the same building as Boyce.
- In the western part of Junktown, below Gizmo's, you can find an old grizzled man. He sells some of his dogs to anyone who is willing to pay for it.
- As mentioned above, Junktown is one of the towns in the wasteland where players can buy bases for their faction. To do so, talk to Earl in the building next to the entrance.
- In the northern part of Junktown, there's a Boxing Ring. Players can fight each other there in hand to hand combat for fun and caps. Bring 10 caps and meet someone else who brings 10 caps, pay to fight and winner takes all.
- Although it is not very frequented by players, Junktown is attractive. It's a quiet and secure place for trading and crafting.
- North Entrance
- South Entrance